Muffins are the go-to “first breakfast” item in our household. We bake 2-3 batches every week of various muffin-types and ingredient profiles. They are incredibly simple to bake, and very satisfying in the early morning alongside a fresh roasted Aeropress pour. Two muffins and a cup of coffee are usually enough to get things going, at which point I’ll probably eat again (“second breakfast”).
Simple baking is an incredible bonding experience with our two year old. There are minimal ingredients in the recipe, and it’s difficult to mess it up. Even if your toddler is doing most of the heavy lifting you should come out smiling.
This one is for all of the chocolate lovers out there, and for those of you who need an extra caffeine bump to get moving. You should be able to complete this recipe end-to-end in about 30 minutes, including cleaning up. Enjoy.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Muffin Tin & Liners
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Whisk
- Wooden or Silicone Baking Spoon
- 1 Toothpick (optional, very helpful)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Set out muffin tin, and add muffin liners to each well.
- Add egg to a mixing bowl and scramble it completely. Stir in the milk and oil until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa. Stir until well mixed.
- Slowly pour the mixed wet ingredients, adding them into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon while pouring and until the mixture has few small lumps remaining. This is your batter.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the wells on your muffin tin. Each well should receive ¼ to ½ cup of batter.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until done. Muffins are done when you can insert a toothpick into the center of the muffin and it comes out clean upon removal.
- Save yourself a burn, and let the muffins cool for about 5 minutes before consuming. They can get very hot inside.