Peaches are back-in-season, and there is nothing more rewarding than a delicious cobbler while the sun sinks below the horizon.
Best enjoyed to the hum of cicadas once the fireflies take flight, this dish is easier than you might expect. So long as you have fresh fruit it’s always a winner. And even when you are surrounded by city lights, cobbler is a surefire way to escape to a simpler place in your mind and on your palette.
- 5 peaches
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pyrex Baking Dish
- Mixing Bowl
- Skin and slice the peaches.
- Add the sliced peaches, a pinch of salt and ¾ cup of sugar to a saucepan on medium heat. Stir to combine ingredients until the sugar is dissolved. Then remove from heat.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Add the butter to your baking dish and leave it inside the oven so that the butter melts while you are preheating. Remove the dish once the butter is melted.
- Combine flour, remaining sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Stir together dry ingredients. Then stir in the milk.
- Pour the batter mixture into your baking dish over the melted butter. Smooth out the surface of the batter so that it makes an even layer. Spoon the peaches evenly atop the batter and top with cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes.